These are the easiest and best banana bread muffins with chocolate chips added in for some extra yum! Banana bread is the simplest bread to make and you can't really mess it up. You can choose different add-ins if you want besides chocolate chips. Chopped nuts are a great add in and add healthy fats and protein.
Growing up, time spent at my grandmother’s home usually involved cooking. It seemed like most of what she made, she did by memory with no recipe. This is her Banana Nut Bread recipe, though I’ve adapted it to add chocolate chips. (Yes, cause I love chocolate!) She added nuts, but I usually skip those because my kids like them better with chocolate chips. I’ve adjusted the sugar and oil to decrease it a bit and they still taste so wonderful.
This post contains affiliate links. See our disclosure page for more information.
Secret to Banana Bread:
Want to be able to make banana bread anytime? When you have a banana that's too ripe, instead of tossing it, throw it in the freezer. Yep, just straight into the freezer, no wrap or anything.
The banana will turn brown and look terrible. But that doesn't matter. You can pull it out, thaw it for 20 seconds in the microwave. Yep, it will look even worse and be all runny. But this is the PERFECT banana for bread bread. Banana bread tastes best when the banana is very ripe! Perfect way to not waste food!
What is a Quick Bread?
Quick breads are breads that are obviously quick to make but what else? Quick breads are breads that don't have yeast. When breads have yeast, they typically need time to rise, which adds to the time required to make. So a quick bread uses other rising agents like baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Or you can use self-rising flour like in this recipe to make it quicker.
Can I make a banana bread loaf?
Yes! I make a mini loaf with this recipe as is, but for a regular banana nut bread loaf, or banana chocolate chip bread loaf, just double the recipe.
How to freeze:
Yes! I freeze these muffins or the loaf all the time. You can pull out just one at a time if you freeze them!
I mail these to my daughter in college and will freeze the muffins before I put in a priority mailing package. I figure that way it gives them a little extra time and so far she reports they are perfect when they arrive.
- High in potassium, an electrolyte that helps decrease blood pressure, regulate heart rate, and manages a variety of body functions related to water balance, nerve signals, and muscle contractions. (which is why you hear people say to eat bananas for cramps). People on low potassium diets need to avoid or limit bananas.
- High in prebiotics which promote gut health. Prebiotics help with digestion plus have many other research supported benefits, and even are linked to diabetes control, cancer risk, heart risk, mental health, and so much more. So important!
- High in fiber. One banana contains around 3 grams of fiber. The recommended amount of fiber per day is 25 grams and most people don't get enough fiber. So add in a banana each day!
- High in other vitamins and nutrients like B6, manganese, copper, and vitamin C.
So bananas are great for you! And they are an inexpensive fruit. Five or six bananas usually cost less than $1. Plus bananas are a great convenience food because they pack well for lunches and snacks on the go.
So let's get on to actually making these banana and chocolate chip muffins!
- 1 banana- the riper the better!
- 1 egg
- ¼ cup oil
- ¼ cup sugar
- ½ cup self-rising flour
- ¼ cup chocolate chips- I love the dark chocolate mini chips
The original recipe from my grandmother used ½ cup oil and ½ cup sugar. Feel free to use that amount if you want, but I try to make a healthier version.
A key in making quick breads is to mix the wet ingredients and dry ingredients separately. Most traditional quick bread recipes will tell you to mix your dry ingredients and then push the ingredients to the side of the bowl to make a hole in the middle to pour in the wet ingredients.
Another key in making quick breads is to not overmix. I don't use a mixer for these because mixers can overmix quick breads. Too much stirring can cause "holes" in the bread.
Feel free to do that if you want to make the perfect quick bread, but I'm a quick cook and don't see much difference in doing that for this recipe. Plus I don't want to mess up another bowl to mix dry ingredients. (Hence, the name quick healthy cook.)
So let's get to how to make these.
- Mash banana. The riper the banana, the easier this is. Use a fork to make it easier.
- Stir in egg and oil and mix well.
- Add sugar and stir. Don't overmix.
- Add flour and stir but don't overmix.
- Fold in chocolate chips.
- Pour into 6 greased muffins tins. I LOVE silicone muffin tins! Silicone makes the muffins just ease out so easily and they look so pretty on the sides. Plus they are super cheap on amazon and can be reused so you are helping the environment.
- Bake in a preheated 375 degree over for 12-15 minutes.
- To test for doneness, insert a toothpick in highest part of muffin. If it comes out dry, muffins are done. If it's wet, bake a few more minutes.
Making these for breakfast? Pair these with our Make Ahead Freezer Breakfast Burritos!
Are you a snack lover? Try our easy and healthy No Bake Energy Balls!Print
The easiest and best banana bread recipe! These Chocolate Chip Banana Muffins can be made in less than 30 minutes and a great breakfast treat of snack. Nuts can be substituted for chocolate chips if desired.
1 banana, riper the better
¼ cup oil
¼ cup sugar
½ cup self rising flour
¼ cup chocolate chips
- Mash banana.
- Add egg and stir.
- Stir in oil.
- Stir in sugar but don't overmix.
- Stir in flour but don't overmix.
- Fold in chocolate chips.
- Pour into greased or lined muffin tin.
- Bake in a preheated 375 degree oven for 12-15 minutes.
- Check doneness by inserting toothpick into middle of a muffin. If it comes out dry, they are done. If it is wet, bake a few more minutes.
These muffins can be frozen.
Nuts can be substituted for chocolate chips.
The nutrition facts presented here are estimates only. The brands you use and product types chosen can change the nutrition information presented. To obtain the most accurate nutritional information, you should calculate the nutritional information with the actual ingredients you use.
Keywords: easy banana bread muffins, easy banana chocolate chip muffin, easy chocolate chip banana bread, healthy banana bread muffin