This easy Mediterranean Quinoa Salad was inspired from a Tabbouleh recipe. I used quinoa in place of the normal bulgur. Using fresh herbs gives this quinoa dish the best fresh flavor. Quinoa salad is high in protein, whole grains, fiber, and lots of nutrients from veggies and herbs. Great for lunch or a side dish!
What is quinoa?
If you've never eaten quinoa, you should try it! Quinoa is pronounced keen-waa. Quinoa is considered a whole grain but it's actually a flowering amaranth plant grown for its seeds.
Quinoa is high in protein, fiber, and many nutrients. Here's the nutrient content in 1 cup of cooked quinoa (data from the USDA Food Data):
- Protein: 8 grams.
- Fiber: 5 grams.
- Manganese: 58% of the recommended daily allowance (RDA).
- Magnesium: 30% of the RDA.
- Phosphorus: 28% of the RDA.
- Folate: 19% of the RDA.
- Copper: 18% of the RDA.
- Iron: 15% of the RDA.
- Zinc: 13% of the RDA.
- Potassium 9% of the RDA.
- Over 10% of the RDA for vitamins B1, B2 and B6.
- Small amounts of calcium, B3 (niacin) and vitamin E.
How to cook:
Quinoa is easy and quick to cook. Twenty minutes is all it takes to cook quinoa. Basically it's cooked like rice. Mix 1 part quinoa to 2 parts liquid (water or broth). Heat to a simmer, cover and reduce heat. Cook 20 minutes.
- 1 cup quinoa
- 2 lemons, zested and juiced
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/2 bunch parsley, chopped
- 1/4 cup mint leaves, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup cherry tomatoes
- 1 cucumber, diced
- 2 green onions, chopped
- Cook quinoa according to package instructions. Cool in refrigerator when done.
- Combine other ingredients in bowl and mix.
- Stir in cooled quinoa.
- Chill and enjoy!
Mediterranean inspired Quinoa Salad. Inspired from a tabbouleh recipe but uses quinoa. So fresh and delish, full of protein, fiber, and nutrients.
1 cup quinoa
2 lemons, zested and juice
1/4 cup olive oil
1/2 bunch fresh parsley, chopped
1/4 cup fresh mint, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 cup cherry tomatoes
1 cucumber, diced
1-2 green onions, chopped
- Cook quinoa according to package instructions. Chill in refrigerator.
- Mix rest of ingredients and stir.
- Fold in chilled quinoa.
- Chill and enjoy!
Feel free to substitute vegetables with ones you love. Keeps in fridge for several days.
The nutrition facts presented here are estimates only. The brands and product types chosen can change the nutrition facts presented. To obtain the most accurate nutritional information, you should calculate the nutrition information with the actual ingredients you use.
Keywords: quinoa salad, tabbouleh, mediterranean quinoa salad, mediterranean vegetable salad